Great Art Lessons for the Creative Soul
A new school year has begun with new challenges. The pandemic has forced many families to continue homeschooling or support distance learning for their children. BE ENCOURAGED! As parents/family members helping to educate the young learners in your family, remember that you have always been and will continue to be their most important teachers. YOU CAN DO THIS! We have prepared 20 different art activities to help you foster creative growth in your children.
Make An Art Journal/Sketchbook
1. Use the steps shown above to make an art journal/sketchbook out of paper bags or whatever materials you have.
2. Decorate the cover. Use the journal to do the art activities below.
3. Follow the steps in the video to make another art journal using envelopes.
4. Draw a portrait of your family in the art journal.
Recognize Art in Nature
Use the Elements and Principles of Design to explore nature.
5. Color- Find 3-4 different plants, bugs and birds in nature that have your favorite color. Make a list of what you find in your art journal with a writing tool in your favorite color.
6. Texture- Collect 4 different rocks, sticks, leaves or shells from outdoors that have texture. Place a sheet of paper on the surface of each object and lightly rub a crayon, color stick or pencil over the paper to see the texture on the paper.
7. Pattern- Look for 3 interesting patterns in nature and photograph them.
8. Contrast- Identify 3 different areas in nature that show contrast, such as white fluffy clouds in a blue sky; paint a picture of one of the areas that you like.
Look For Art in Public Spaces
9. Architecture- Find a residential or commercial building that has a unique design, paint color or detail. Take a picture and sketch it.
10. Mural- Use Google to locate a local indoor or outdoor space that has a colorful image on a building or street that you can view in person. Discuss what you like and/or dislike about the mural with your family and friends.
11. Sculpture/Installation- Visit a local park or outdoor space that has a cool sculpture. Use air dry clay to create a maquette for a larger sculpture that could be displayed on your porch, patio or garden.
12. Typography- Photograph 3-4 different colorful signs/logos/billboards that are freestanding or displayed on commercial buildings or vehicles. Pick your favorite one and create a new version of the sign using your favorite drawing tools.
Learn About A New Visual Artist
There are so many amazing visual artists to discover and learn about. Check out the four fantastic artists we listed below. Click on their names to see an example of their art and learn more about them. Purchase these art history coloring books to find portrait coloring sheets for each artist; use a different coloring tool and technique for each artist sheet.
13. Hughie Lee Smith- Mr. Smith was an amazing painter and art educator.
14. Gordon Parks- Mr. Parks was a phenomenal photographer and movie director.
15. Stephanie Pogue- Stephanie Pogue was a prolific printmaker and art professor.
16. Xenobia Bailey- Ms. Bailey is a dynamic multimedia fiber artist and activist
Create An Art Gallery Space in Your Home
There are a plethora of ways to create an art gallery space for your children's art in your home. It can be displayed on a wall in colorful frames, bookshelf, refrigerator, cork board, easel, etc. The size, space, style and method is totally up to you. This is a great activity to plan with the young artists in your home. You can also have more than one art gallery space. Here are a few of our favorite ideas:
17. Clothesline or Vertical Ribbon- This method is simple to install. Just use clothes pins for a clothesline or glue dots for the ribbon to hang the art.
18. Science Poster Board- Using this type of poster board for an art display is a great idea because it's portable.
19. Clipboards- You can hang 1 or more clipboards on a wall to create a simple art gallery space.
20. Digital Display -Photograph your children's artwork and display the photos on a digital frame that will play a slideshow of their masterpieces.
Make sure to explore our website to find more art activities!
Alicia L. McDaniel
Alicia L. McDaniel is the author and creator of Great Art Lessons for the Creative Soul. She is also an educator, professional artist, and lover of the arts.
Some of our Favorite Spots from around the Web